Friday, 20 October 2017

Edna Marie “Eddie” Larsen was born on January 8, 1911, at the family home in Rapid City, South Dakota. She graduated from Rapid City High School in 1929. Upon graduation she attended the South Dakota School of Mines & Technology and a business school in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. In the early 1940’s during World War II, Eddie took the civil service examination at the Rapid City Air Army Base. When she was hired, she was the only female at the base to work in civil service.

The 300 plus acres of mountain biking, hiking and running trails in downtown Rapid City, now commonly known as The Hanson-Larsen Memorial Park (HLMP) is Edna Marie “Eddie” Larsen’s visionary legacy. This beautiful green-space, in an urban setting, will memorialize Eddie and her family in a way that not even Eddie could have dreamed of!


Samuel Scott was the leader of the 2nd party to arrive at the Founder's Campsite. His group seeing all the activity, thought they had stumbled onto another stampede (gold rush), and wanted to take part of the action. Once initial planning was accomplished many of the other founders left for Deadwood.

Scott however planted their feet firmly in Rapid City and married, raising families, owning property, and gaining respect for being successful citizens. Scott formed a partnership with Robbins in a 'Real Estate and Mining Agency.'


John Brennan was appointed the first Mayor of Rapid City and President of the Rapid City Council.

He was also the first Postmaster, a member and later president of the first South Dakota School of Mines Board of Trustees, Fire Chief for several years, and Union Pacific Railroad agent. He served as the Pennington County Superintendent of Schools, and was Vice President of First National Bank & Trust of Rapid City.

The Brennan’s donated the land for the Library Hall and the city’s first cultural center. Brennan built the Harney Hotel, showplace of the Black Hills in 1885, and managed it until 1900. That year John was appointed superintendent of the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, where he served for 17 years. They returned to Rapid City in 1917, where they lived on the corner of 6th and Kansas City Street.